Malware on the fan forum?

Judge

I keep running into malware on the fan forum.  I don't know if it is just my Windows 10 or what.  Windows 7 Professional had no problem.  Win 10 is suppose to be able to operate without malware/virus protection.  It has gotten to the point I don't want to come on the site because of it.  Again when I logged onto the frustrations thread, it happened again.

If others are having this problem, please speak up.  I love the site and would like to continue, but not at the cost of the constant virus/malware.  I don't encounter this degree of problems anywhere else?

I run Windows 10 Pro and Home on another and don't seem to be getting any of your problems re malware.

Windows 10 runs fine for me, i run the inbuilt Windows Defender which is free and have done for the past three/four years (Includes Windows 8.1) and have never had any problem with viruses etc.

Many reviews seem to slate Defender but i can only go from experience and have never had any problems, i think you need to treat many reviews with suspicion as so many are linked with advertisers etc.

I also run Malwarebytes alongside Defender.

Now are you using Edge for your browser this could be the problem re malware etc as it doesn't support extensions yet.

I think Edge still needs work on it to bring it up to standard.

I either use Chrome or Maxthon browser and i have found the Maxthon browser very good and it is fast and comes with adblocker built in.

You may like to try it........

I run much the same as Robwin, Malewarebytes, Windows Defender, SUPERantiSpyware and C Cleaner.  We just had a full discussion on Shoutbox about this problem.  Many suggest the Comodo IS suite as the solution.  I find that every time I try to sign in, it launches into that annoying lock screen asking for me to call a certain number.

I use Chrome or IE (not Edge), Win 10 - depending on box.

I run much the same as Robwin, Malewarebytes, Windows Defender, SUPERantiSpyware and C Cleaner.  We just had a full discussion on Shoutbox about this problem.  Many suggest the Comodo IS suite as the solution.  I find that every time I try to sign in, it launches into that annoying lock screen asking for me to call a certain number.

I use Chrome or IE (not Edge), Win 10 - depending on box.

Never been a fan of CCleaner and Superantispyware think they are too over hyped and many of these programs often do more harm than good.

Don't know if you are running them all,all the time, but if you run too many of these programs simultaneously they can fight each other and let in stuff you don't want which could be why you are having problems.

Using the bought version of Malwarebytes (always active) alongside Defender is ok as Defender is mainly only a antivirus program though it does stop some malware and Malwarebytes is purely, as the name suggests, a malware program only and does root out crap.

Depending on what you read many think registry cleaners are not neccessary but i work and repair many stuffed up computers for friends and others and i find the Auslogics registry cleaner (which is free) does a good job and has never caused me any problems and really speeds up clogged up machines.

The Auslogics disk defrag does also seem to be very effective.

Many of these other programs seem to find 100's of errors whilst others find 1000's which does tend to cloud ones judgement over just how good they really are.

Just my two pennies worth for what it is worth.

I posted about this on the Chat Room.

I have had odd popups in the last few days. Maybe coincidental but since the Microsoft anti-malware update.

Try Firefox with AdBlock plus. On this PC I run Avast Antivirus with Comodo Firewall + HIPS as historical from when Comodo did not have Antivirus but the Complete free Comodo package seems to do a good job too.

HIPS can be a nuisance but the key point is it stops things trying to load or install.

Also create an Administrator account on your PC to use for installation and maintenance with a password even if just one letter then a user rights account for everyday use. If anything tries to install, so long as it needs administrator rights, you will get a pop up for the password. If you are not expecting this e.g. antivirus program update don't enter it.

Bad advice to not accept antivirus updates after all you wouldn't get updates on stuff you ain't running would you?

If aimed at my post that was not what I intended to imply.

Avast and Comodo definition updates install without administrator rights. For program updates they give prompts. I then swap to the admin account to install.

My point is being able to stop an unexpected installation rather than not being aware until too late it has happened.

My apologies delta10 obviously misread or understood your comment.

I have used many antivirus programmes over the years and most of the free ones now are so naggy and with many pop ups they can be a right pain in the ass.

I still maintain that if you use Windows Defender either on it's own and use Malwarebytes either as the free version and run it regularly or use the paid for version for constant monitoring you won't go far wrong.

Can only speak from personnel experience and i visit some fairly iffy websites at times.

After all Defender is embedded into windows 10 and designed specifically for the system.

Definitely get ad-blocker, you'll have no problem after that. 

I use Opera as it's fast and light, but unfortunately not as popular as Chrome. My ISP recently put a data cap on their internet service and I had to find ways to lower bandwidth consumption. Chrome is the best browser I've used thus far, but I realized that it takes up a lot of data. I've found that Opera has the same efficiency of Chrome with significantly less consumption and a similar layout.

I've been using the free version of Avira for years now and it's great. Although I only use my laptop for studying/gaming etc. Haven't had to worry about malware in a long time. The only downside are small ads that appear in the corner once every few days, but taking a second to close them isn't an issue for me.

OK this is going off the topic but remember Chrome is supplied by Google, the No 1 search engine. Hence debatable how much your browsing, searches and the website accessed are tracked.

IMO if you like Chrome it is better to use another browser based on the same engine.

Similarly Startpage.com is a front end for Google search.

My apologies delta10 obviously misread or understood your comment.

I have used many antivirus programmes over the years and most of the free ones now are so naggy and with many pop ups they can be a right pain in the ass.

I still maintain that if you use Windows Defender either on it's own and use Malwarebytes either as the free version and run it regularly or use the paid for version for constant monitoring you won't go far wrong.

Can only speak from personnel experience and i visit some fairly iffy websites at times.

After all Defender is embedded into windows 10 and designed specifically for the system.

I have not been near Windows 10 yet.  All my comments are based on 7 and XP.

I do not find either Avast or Comodo are naggy. Yes they question downloads and installs/updates but I would rather have that upfront than have to clear out gremlins or worst case reload from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

Make a screenhot and post it here next time you see it. That way we can tell you if it's really malware.

In the meantime, make sure you're browser, flashplayer and Java are up-to-date.

You can also scan your pc with Malwarebytes Anti-malware. It's free and works like a charm.

As Mark82 has said Malwarebytes Anti-malware.is brilliant for hunting out crap but one further thing you could try is running Adblocker.

But i think you have some embedded nasties in your system which need hunting out as i don't get any ads or pop up on my screen at all.