Be careful with your membership....

wiseacres1

Hi everyone...this is aimed at those who are thinking of paying for a membership.

A membership to RLC is automatically "recurring", meaning once they have your credit card, they'll keep taking money out of it until you stop them. They don't tell you this when you sign up.

I found that $29 had been taken out of my account without my permission, for a second month. I called SegPay and had them cancel the membership, but there was no refund for the second month. It remains to be seen if RLC will try to take a third month out...

So, if you sign up and only want one month, keep a close eye on your card and cancel the membership at the end of your month or they'll take another month out and you won't get it back.

Actually, that may only be with SegPay. If you have signed up through Verotel as I did, then you may not face any recurring issues.  I do not have recurring with Verotel. If anyone uses Verotel and gets recurring, please correct my post. Furthermore, I do not believe RLC controls the recurring. That option may be decided by the financial institutions.

TAKEN FROM RLC WEBPAGE:

VII. Membership

[justify]a. Registration You may access the non-public portion of any Site only by being a member in good standing to that Site. You may become a member of a Site by completing an online registration form, and paying the appropriate fee, which may be recurring in nature. Upon submission of the online registration form, RealLifeCam or its authorized agent will process the application. In connection with completing the online registration form, you agree to: (1) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration form (such information being the “Registration Dataâ€) and (2) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete at all times while you are a member. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or RealLifeCam or any of its authorized agents have reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, RealLifeCam has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Site or Sites.c. Fees You agree to pay all membership fees when due. RealLifeCam posts the current membership fees for each Site as part of the registration process. RealLifeCam reserves the right to change any Site's membership fees at any time, with or without prior notice to you. At the time of registration, you must select a payment method. RealLifeCam reserves the right to contract with a third party to process all payments. Such third party may impose additional terms and conditions governing payment processing. Your account will be deemed past due if it is not paid in full by the payment due date. Your card issuer agreement may contain additional terms with respect to your rights and liabilities as a card holder. You are responsible for reimbursing RealLifeCam for all credit card charge backs, dishonored checks and any related charges.[/justify]

[justify]d. Billing Errors If you believe that you have been erroneously billed, please notify us immediately of such error. If we do not hear from you within thirty (30) days after such billing error first appears on any account statement, such fee will be deemed acceptable by you for all purposes, including resolution of inquiries made by your credit card issuer.[/justify]

[justify]e. Refund Policy RealLifeCam does not provide cash refunds. We may, however, grant credits in the form of free some days memberships to resolve customer service issues. The billing system used by RealLifeCam or our authorized agents provides extensive credit card fraud protection measures and our Sites include many features to protect users from accidental charges. Therefore, refunds to your credit card will be provided only under the rarest of circumstances such as persistent technical problems originating with our equipment.[/justify]

VIII. Termination

[justify]You may cancel your membership at any time by providing: (A) our customer service department with a notice of your intent to cancel the membership along with your user name and password; and (B) any outstanding fees owed for your membership. Upon our processing of your request to cancel your membership, you will no longer have access to the non-public areas of the Site or Sites to which you were a member.[/justify]

[justify]RealLifeCam may terminate your access to a Site at any time, with or without advance notice, if: (1) RealLifeCam believes that you have breached any material term of these Terms and Conditions, (2) you fail to pay any amount due by the payment due date; or (3) RealLifeCam decides to cease operations or to otherwise discontinue any of the Sites. Further, you agree that neither RealLifeCam nor any third party acting on our behalf shall be liable to you for any termination of your membership or access to any of the Sites. You agree that if your account is terminated by RealLifeCam, you will not attempt to re-register as a member without prior written consent from RealLifeCam.[/justify]

Yes, I have read this before...as I said, "I don't believe RLC controls the recurring." There wasn't anything in ragnor's post that states that they do.  It is simply stated as, "...which may be recurring in nature."  This is NOT saying that RLC controls the recurring.  It sounds more like they don't.  But, as to having control over the validation of memberships, we already know they do or else there wouldn't have been so many members in the recent past who have been suspended or even banned.  Back to the point, the term "nature" implies that it may or may not be recurring depending on the financial institution (SegPay or Verotel). 

According to wiseacres1, who is on SegPay, you could experience recurring membership fees. So watch out for that!

As with myself, who is on Verotel, I do not have recurring and never have since Feb. 2014. I guess the initial response I should have left was, "I don't have recurring on Verotel, but check anyway...no matter which financial institution you signed up with."

• 1 year later...

I have cancelled many times with Segpay just before expiry dat and never had any problems if that is any comfort to anyone.

There is also an option to cancell on their site if you look at this link 

I have used that and by email and had no problems.

• 5 months later...
On 9/17/2014 at 8:47 PM, wiseacres1 said:

So, if you sign up and only want one month, keep a close eye on your card and cancel the membership at the end of your month or they'll take another month out and you won't get it back.

Actually, you don't have to cancel it at the end of the month. Since I'm in school and working a shitty retail job, I only pay for this when I have extra money, so I only ever expect to pay for one month at a time. I always cancel my subscription immediately after purchase, but it still gives me the 30 days. No waiting is necessary.