Permanently enabling the Flash plugin for RLC on Chrome version 69 and up

CowArt

Up to version 68, you had to give permission to run the Flash plugin once on a website and Chrome would remember that choice. As of version 69 (with the rounder design), by default Chrome will now ask for permission after every restart of the browser.

The following will restore Chrome's behavior towards Flash to how it was before, i.e. you don't need to click to enable flash on RLC every time you've restarted your browser.

Go to chrome://flags

961185031_2018-09-2115_31_31-Window.png.03c0c743fd2f65171779f954d28ddfcc.png

Find the "Enable Ephemeral Flash Permissions" setting and set it to "Disabled"

1297881114_2018-09-2115_32_38-Window.png.dc257f86a8c99d5386c0d4530ba42c3d.png

You will be prompted to restart the browser. After that Chrome will remember the Flash permission for RLC (and all other sites).

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2018 at 9:47 AM, CowArt said:

Up to version 68, you had to give permission to run the Flash plugin once on a website and Chrome would remember that choice. As of version 69 (with the rounder design), by default Chrome will now ask for permission after every restart of the browser.

The following will restore Chrome's behavior towards Flash to how it was before, i.e. you don't need to click to enable flash on RLC every time you've restarted your browser.

Go to chrome://flags

Find the "Enable Ephemeral Flash Permissions" setting and set it to "Disabled"

You will be prompted to restart the browser. After that Chrome will remember the Flash permission for RLC (and all other sites).

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You CowArt.
I had gone to almost every Chrome advisory website that I could find to get a work-around for always having to click on that "permission slip". Finally I thought to myself "If I have to do it on RLC I'm sure everyone else does too. Maybe someone in the Forums has an answer",  and I found this within seconds!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, Leisure Guy said:

Glad I found this. What will happen when Web Browsers no longer support Flash?  Will I still be able to use the site?

No, but nobody else will either, so RLC will do something before it comes to that. ;)

In fact, they already are. As long as you're not logged in, the free cameras no longer require flash. Once you log in, then you need flash to view the streams, including the free cameras. It's been like that for two, maybe three weeks, so it looks like RLC is starting it's testing to move away from flash all together. Replay by the way never required flash.

12 hours ago, Leisure Guy said:

Glad I found this. What will happen when Web Browsers no longer support Flash?  Will I still be able to use the site?

Then Browsers will have to Update so their Software is HTML5 Compliant.  If you can watch Videos on YouTube then your Browser has HTML5.

Once Flash Player has exhausted Support which will be sometime in 2020 the next to become extinct is Java.  Windows 12 will phase out Java and most low end versions of Windows 10 which were implemented when Windows 10 first came on to the Market.  Windows 8.1 has already exhausted support.   Exhausting Support means you can still use the Operating Systems but any Software made by Microsoft, Adobe and JRE in those eras will no longer provide updates for those Products.

• 2 months later...