What's the deal with Russian men?

Was Gorbatchev a nose-picking master? Is that why he lost?

Think he was the opposite. He was democratic and western thinking and invited Russian people to also think and to act.

Russians weren't used to that and rather picked their noses until they got orders from Kremlin.

That's why he was only popular in the west and not in Russia. Putin is restoring the nose-picking culture. 

Obviously Russians like that.

Gorbachev was screwed over by the Reagan regime. Ronnie "The Shill"  Reagan loved being the right-wing hero, especially for the religious right, still battling the Cold War of the 1950's.

Then, along came Mikhail Gorbachev and his wife, Raisa. Both were very intelligent people and could out-think Reagan and his wife any time.  Reagan went to Berlin and stood near the hated wall that divided East and West Berlin. He apparently called out," Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" 

Shortly after that, Gorbachev started his reform with glasnost and perestroika. He then proceeded to slowly dismantle the old hard communism in the Soviet Union.

Along came Boris Yeltsin, who was a member of the apparatchik. Yeltsin ran for mayor of Moscow and won. The only problem was that Yeltsin was a total drunk.Despite that flaw, he still got along well with Gorbachev. The Reaganites suddenly realized that there was a chip in Gorbachev's armour and began to court Yeltsin. The Americans fawned over Yeltsin, who basked in the attention he got from the West. When Gorbachev called for the first democratic election in the U.S.S.R., the Americans backed Yeltsin and the rest is history.

Gorbachev to this day is greatly admired by Europeans while the people in North America have all but forgotten him. Russia today is back in an iron fist that belongs to a former KGB officer, Vladimir  Putin. The latter has a Napoleon complex and is essentially another dictator who refuses to give up any power. He is known to be worth billions due to bribes and extortion. The Russian people don't have much of a future.

A brief clear history-lecture TBird 97, but let's call him Michael Gorbatsjov.

He realised the USSR couldn't win the arms-race. The USA was leading and working on the "Star Wars" defence shield.

So he started the movements of democracy, openess and economic stimulation ("uskorenie") and ended the cold war.

In this time he was even more popular in the USA than Ronald "Rayguns" (and even was one of the guests when Barak Obama became president in 2009).

Gorbatsjov had not counted for the uprizing of national movements in the member states of the USSR and lost control  

of its break-up.     

Nato used this period to extend its influence, which later was criticized by the same Gorbatsjov.

The communists commited a coup to restore the old situation and held Gorbatsjov under guard at the Crimea.

Boris Jeltsin broke the coup by speaking to the people and military, standing on a tank, and became president. The popularity

of Gorbatsjov, who also had performed as an electioneer for president, in Russia was 0,05 %.

Jeltsin continued the democratic movement until he was no longer capable of beïng president and was successed by Putin.

One day Russian people will realize what opportunity they have missed and let's hope it will then be not too late.

I'm a great admirer of Russian history and culture but the current movements will be no part of it.  

Interesting thread, found myself thinking about this after the recent violence at Euro 2016

A reporter told it was to be considered as a championship hooliganism.Trained (in fighting)  Russians wanted to defeat the English

(with Kremlin support...!).

Think the measures taken by UEFA were excellent. 

Gee, thanks for the lecture, Mr. Dundas. You have your perspective on things, I have mine.

As anyone should have. I added some essential details to complete the answer of "was Gorbatchov a nose-picking master ?"

The communist period in general and the Stalin regime especially I regard as an historical depth with a cultural superficiality.

And now it is for the Russian people to open their eyes.     

As anyone should have. I added some essential details to complete the answer of "was Gorbatchov a nose-picking master ?"

The communist period in general and the Stalin regime especially I regard as an historical depth with a cultural superficiality.

And now it is for the Russian people to open their eyes.     

Hi Dundas, I've just returned from Moscow, bringing the Oracle (wife) with me, she flies out again on Tuesday, your comment about Russian people opening their eye's would be a great idea for the country, but unfortunately this is never going to happen sometime soon, as they are so very blinkered.

Please remember Vladimir Putin is of the old guard, he retired from the KGB having risen to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and was brought into politics by Boris Yeltsin who made him Prime Minister around 1999, the rest as they say is history.

Yes changes are taking place in Russia not for the good of the country though, for an example he's beefing up the number of troops along the boarders of countries where NATO troops are based and ordering snap inspections to ensure combat readiness.

Someone mentioned about the Russian thugs at the Euro's, well they wander the streets of Russia at will, creating no go area's any unsuspecting tourist would be well advised to avoid, that's from experience, thankfully I had a good ex-military company driver, mind it was his fault he took the wrong turn, but I let him off, he got me out in one piece, also lets not forget the Russian Mafia run syndicates.

Welcome back, Piemen, you must be a lucky man with your Oracle !

I wonder if there is any distance between Russian Gouvernment and the Maffia.... 

We saw a Russian motor"club" flying Putin's flag and trying to enter Germany but they didn't succeed.

It's obvious that fear is back in Russia in combination with probably some admiration for the muscle-talk and acting of the gouvernment.

They love a macho-culture, I think.

But there must be lots of intellectuals, for as far as they aren't silenced already, who really see what's going and that for instance

a turn-over tactic is used: the west is beïng accused of nazi-Germany-behaviour at the beginning of W.W. 2, while Russia has brought

Tsjetiënia under control, has occupied 2 provinces of Georgia and the Crimea and is still working on Eastern Ucraïnia.

The recession, due to low oil prices, and the western sanctions must stimulate some thinking, even when Kremlin is twisting

everyting in its favor.

Because of the Buk-attack on the Malaysian MH17 I have asked the United Nations Savety Council to skip Russian veto-right,

but never got an answer....

Russia is playing very dangerous "games" at the moment and because Russia only understands muscle-talk and behaviour I'm

afraid that's what they will get: many Europian countries are increasing their defence-budgets.

Welcome back, Piemen, you must be a lucky man with your Oracle !

I wonder if there is any distance between Russian Gouvernment and the Maffia.... 

We saw a Russian motor"club" flying Putin's flag and trying to enter Germany but they didn't succeed.

It's obvious that fear is back in Russia in combination with probably some admiration for the muscle-talk and acting of the gouvernment.

They love a macho-culture, I think.

But there must be lots of intellectuals, for as far as they aren't silenced already, who really see what's going and that for instance

a turn-over tactic is used: the west is beïng accused of nazi-Germany-behaviour at the beginning of W.W. 2, while Russia has brought

Tsjetiënia under control, has occupied 2 provinces of Georgia and the Crimea and is still working on Eastern Ucraïnia.

The recession, due to low oil prices, and the western sanctions must stimulate some thinking, even when Kremlin is twisting

everyting in its favor.

Because of the Buk-attack on the Malaysian MH17 I have asked the United Nations Savety Council to skip Russian veto-right,

but never got an answer....

Russia is playing very dangerous "games" at the moment and because Russia only understands muscle-talk and behaviour I'm

afraid that's what they will get: many Europian countries are increasing their defence-budgets.

Dundas, If you don't mind I'm not going to ask if there's any connection between between Government and Mafia, I would like to get back alive.

I believe this is not a recent move, back in 2004 Russia altered it's gun laws, now anyone can carry a gun as long as it's for your own protection, any of the drivers who pick me up at the airport always carry 2, reason being in case they don't have time to reload,(welcome to Russia in the raw) before 2004 anyone could own a gun as long as it was long barreled and the magazine held no more than 10 rounds, also you had to prove to the licence issuing body that the gun could be stored in a safe and secure place, and was only used for hunting.

The most unassuming people have positions with the Government, even on RLC you have one who's a Junior Lieutenant in the Police reserve and another who's connected to the military, they still use Morse Code because at night you can hear him tapping away and receiving messages albeit in Russian so obviously it's not top secret work he's doing.

As far as the UK beefing up it's defence's, as it stands is a bit of a joke we are building 2 Aircraft Carrier's which they won't have aircraft for, for at least 2 years, the Government say they scrapped the Harrier Jump Jet when they decommissioned the last of the old Aircraft Carrier's personally I think a lot were moth balled, also there has already been talk (albeit quietly) of bringing back conscription if need be.

Russia is already testing UK defence's and has been for quite a while, on average once a week the RAF send up 2 Euro-Fighters to intercept Russian military aircraft that intentionally enter no fly zones, when the Olympics were on in London 4 were stationed at an RAF airfield not far from where I live in West London, these were supposed to have been removed after the Games, but yesterday we drove past the airfield and 2 of the temporary hangers are still there.

There is a tense atmosphere within some quarters in Russia especially within commerce, although the Ruble is now stronger against Sterling now running at around Rub89 to the £ compared to Rub96 I was getting, this still makes Russia an expensive place for Russian's, recession is biting hard with average earnings stagnated while prices continue to rise, many shops out in the distant suburbs of Cities, small towns and villages running out of basic's as soon as they hit the shelves, yet in the City center's you wouldn't think there was recession, people appear to have plenty of money to spend, but this could be the classic case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, or they are hitting their credit cards to the max.

Even some Police are corrupt for example the hotel the company use is 16K outside Moscow, quite regularly we get stopped for speeding (even if we are not) up to five times a journey and fined Rub100 on the spot, no speeding ticket or receipt given, you can't argue, once we've been stopped we know we are going to be stopped again, they get on the radio to their mates down the road and give them our vehicle reg number, this only appears to happen vehicles known to be carrying foriener's, so I suspect they get their information from someone at the airport as it only happens on the first journey to the hotel 

While Russia has an action man with Napoleon syndrome who's out to prove to his followers that Russia is untouchable, and he can walk on water leading the country, nothing is going to change, and modern history was not one of the subjects he took a school otherwise he would realise if it wasn't for the west and their Arctic Convoys braving the Baltic Sea he wouldn't have a communist country to rule, and a phrase he would be well advised to heed "How The Mighty Fall" this could come from either outside or inside intervention.

Dundas, We will have to start another Topic, the Oracle is not speaking to me, she goes back to Moscow on Tuesday, I'm on Euro-Star tomorrow overnight in Paris then TGV down to Perpignan, (it's quicker by train from Paris than flying) for a week in the South West of France, it is still part of the Catalan region where just a about every thing is Spanish except for the language, the other benefit apart from a week in the sun, good sea food and likening it down there, I have more chance of understanding French than Russian 

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2016 at 6:02 PM, MagicMan10 said:

Are all Russian guys like this?

I've been watching for a year or so and it seems like every guy on RLC is an emasculated tub of shit.

I always thought Russian dudes were tough alpha males but now I'm thinking it's the opposite.

All the tough ones probably got wiped out playing too much roulette! O0

• 2 months later...

During World War II, Soviet Union lost 27,000,000 people, which is the lowest estimate. Also considering the purges during Stalin Era, famine, diseases etc, it may well be assumed that the total population loss is well-over 50 million within a very short time period.

As you may well expect in a war environment, majority of these losses were young, able-bodied males, who were either in the army or otherwise helping in war effort.

This caused a great decrease in productive male population and therefore able-bodied men became more valuable in line with principles of market economy with respect to supply and demand.

I can't cite a reference but from what I heard, in some places such as Uzbekistan and remote Siberia, polygamy was allowed or at least tolerated after WWII. To compensate for the decrease in population, men were able to obtain more than one wives--I heard one case with 13 (thirteen) wives.

After WWII, men became the demanded and scarce object and women tried to grab them and keep them happy and well-fed. 

The sons and grandsons and great grandsons of these WWII veterans continued the tradition.

And also please see:

• 2 weeks later...

Man...some of the comments in this discussion..
A shower is for taking showers standing up and a bathtub is for taking baths sitting down.
If you're taking a shower in a bathtub it's up to whoever taking the shower if he/she wants to stand or sit and it most definitively do not define you masculinity. 
A bathtub often have no curtains hence you will spill water all around you standing up.
Not sure why I bother to argue with someone on a voyeur forum anyways...