Policy Change - 7/19/17 - Please Read

Admin

3 hours ago, Harry1949 said:

Admin, I want to endorse CowArt's comments above.  Even in the 9 or 10 months I have been on Chat, I have noticed that fewer appear and only for very short periods of time.  Granted different time zones present their own hurdles but we seemed to have gotten around that in the past. 

The chat box issue and general lack of traffic are in my opinion the result of poor management on my part.  Several months ago (6+), we instituted a policy that restricted the amount of pages that guests could view to 6.  At the time this was done to encourage people to register, and to prevent guest from abusing the site. We also regularly had several hundred people on the site at any given time so the loss of some traffic wasn't a huge deal.  However, that policy was never reviewed nor was I paying close enough attention to the analytics. I think that this policy turned a lot of people away over time, and didn't give potential new members enough time to get a feel for what we have to offer. Hell, I don't know that I would stick around or revisit a site that forced me to register after only seeing six pages. I have now disabled that policy which will hopefully encourage more people to join and participate.  

Briefly first thanks to Admin and the team for keeping RLCF alive.

I have contributed screen grabs from the free cams. I saw this as a way of balancing the details posted by RLC subscribers. My postings had tapered off primarily because there has been little that is interesting and fresh on RLC when I have been viewing. My only comment is that publicly or privately nobody had advised not to upload images other than the risk to me of being totally blocked from viewing RLC.

RLC's stance on content from the free cams is of course their choice but actually is publicity, as has been pointed out by numerous people. Only by finding it do people then visit the site and maybe subscribe.

When I first found RLCF I did join in the chat room but generally stopped for two reasons. The first was that I felt posting on the fan pages was better because the content was permanent and second it was often difficult too keep track when multi-tasking on email, and other websites.

Finally Admin don't be too harsh on yourself about falling traffic to RLCF. First for many it is summer so other activities going on that are not in the depths of winter and second IMO anyway RLC has become less interesting.

2 hours ago, Admin said:

The chat box issue and general lack of traffic are in my opinion the result of poor management on my part.  Several months ago (6+), we instituted a policy that restricted the amount of pages that guests could view to 6.  At the time this was done to encourage people to register, and to prevent guest from abusing the site. We also regularly had several hundred people on the site at any given time so the loss of some traffic wasn't a huge deal.  However, that policy was never reviewed nor was I paying close enough attention to the analytics. I think that this policy turned a lot of people away over time, and didn't give potential new members enough time to get a feel for what we have to offer. Hell, I don't know that I would stick around or revisit a site that forced me to register after only seeing six pages. I have now disabled that policy which will hopefully encourage more people to join and participate.  

What us older members are saying is for you to look closer at the content being discussed in the chatbox. Compare the subjects or topics being discussed now or has been discussed over the last 6-10 months to that of 1 to 1 and 1/2 years ago. Only a dozen or a bit more than that are frequent chatters now. In the past we had probably over 100 frequent chatters. The old members got fed up with the bullshit chatters or trivial boring topics of discussion. Yes, boring RLC is the main reason for the chatbox to slowly die but the confrontations, useless topics and the decrease in posting images has turned chatters away. You can only complain in so many ways until you say FUCK IT. There is less respect in the chatbox also. The code of conduct should be enforced.

12 minutes ago, ShaKa ZuLu Forum VJ said:

We need the Mods back and for them to actively enforce the RLCF rules. Can't play by the rules get off the playground

I have to agree to a certain extent; However, without the authority we were afforded when we were appointed, we have kinda left the discipline to the Administrators. We report, they deal with the non-conformists as they deem necessary.

We had the power to use our authority when we saw it necessary and we banned the perpetrators. 

We, the Moderator Team, have been lax in dealing with those that didn't follow the rules and the rules have been neglected by so many. Moderators included.

It's been running fairly smoothly, with the possible exceptions, which have been dealt with by Admin and the Moderators both. Some familiars you don't see anymore for this very reason.

WE want everyone to come, converse with one another, share grievances over the tenants and NOT over each other. Far too much of that in the past. We've come a long ways in a short time; weeded out the bad, tried to entertain the good. 

The sole purpose of RealLifeCam.com is for entertainment only; and the forum, RealLifeCamFan.com is also for entertainment ONLY. We niether gain nor lose anything by being here. Other than time.

Remember that, always!

4 hours ago, toolmaker123 said:

I have to agree to a certain extent; However, without the authority we were afforded when we were appointed, we have kinda left the discipline to the Administrators. We report, they deal with the non-conformists as they deem necessary.

We had the power to use our authority when we saw it necessary and we banned the perpetrators. 

We, the Moderator Team, have been lax in dealing with those that didn't follow the rules and the rules have been neglected by so many. Moderators included.

It's been running fairly smoothly, with the possible exceptions, which have been dealt with by Admin and the Moderators both. Some familiars you don't see anymore for this very reason.

WE want everyone to come, converse with one another, share grievances over the tenants and NOT over each other. Far too much of that in the past. We've come a long ways in a short time; weeded out the bad, tried to entertain the good. 

The sole purpose of RealLifeCam.com is for entertainment only; and the forum, RealLifeCamFan.com is also for entertainment ONLY. We niether gain nor lose anything by being here. Other than time.

Remember that, always!

We can have a discussion about this in private, but you should have the same authority as you did when you started. The main difference between Admin and Moderators is the ability to make changes to the site itself rather than just managing users. 

5 hours ago, dougiestyle4u said:

What us older members are saying is for you to look closer at the content being discussed in the chatbox. Compare the subjects or topics being discussed now or has been discussed over the last 6-10 months to that of 1 to 1 and 1/2 years ago. Only a dozen or a bit more than that are frequent chatters now. In the past we had probably over 100 frequent chatters. The old members got fed up with the bullshit chatters or trivial boring topics of discussion. Yes, boring RLC is the main reason for the chatbox to slowly die but the confrontations, useless topics and the decrease in posting images has turned chatters away. You can only complain in so many ways until you say FUCK IT. There is less respect in the chatbox also. The code of conduct should be enforced.

I appreciate you bringing this up we will address it appropriately. 

12 hours ago, CowArt said:

I know that, but have you actually looked at the chatbox recently? And I mean really looked at the chatting, not just checking if it was still there and functioning? And looked at it say a year ago? I estimate the number of individual active chatters dropped about 75% since then. Back then you had to be quick to be able to read your own post without having to scroll up for it, and there were people on the chatbox 24/7. Now there are hours on end with no posts at all. What I believe are the reasons for that are in the post I referred to in my initial post here, and several users, myself included, expressed their concerns about the chatbox in numerous posts in the Anger Board.

No, the DMCA thing does not affect the chatbox, but the chatbox was pretty much allowed to kill itself in the last couple of months. RLCF had four assets:

1. The gallery: That's gone now. Any attempts of restoring that will put the whole website at risk again. You can't hide behind third party hosts, RLCF will still be publicly facilitating the exchange of copyrighted material. Google the "King Kong defense" and give the guys over at the PirateBay a call how that worked out for them.
  2. The chatbox: Not dead yet, but certainly not as alive and kicking as it once was.
  3. The forums: Dead since RLC started banning users who posted pictures. The most active threads have nothing to do with RLC, that are the Camarads and the VHTV threads, and a couple more that are just some random joking around.
  4. The messenger system: A lot goes on in there, but does that need to be on RLCF? All you need RLCF for is to meet people to have a PM conversation with, once the initial contact is made, you can move that conversation anywhere you like.

The reason I brought up the chatbox is because you yourself asked to " share your comments, thoughts and ideas". If we're trying to fix things here, in my opinion we should at least make an effort to fix everything that is still fixable, not patch one thing up, go on our merry ways and in six months sit and wonder where it all went wrong.

1. We are aware of the risks and will tread carefully. I am not going to discuss this any further in a public setting. 

2. I agree. I believe that a lot of that has to do with the viewing limit that I discussed in a previous post. Put it this way, up until yesterday the only significant change to the site was the implementation of the viewing limits several months ago. Unless people suddenly became less interested in RLCF for no particular reason, I believe that the viewing limits are what lead to the significant drop in traffic. It also hurt our search ranking because it prevented Google and other web crawlers from being able to access all of our pages. 

3. The forum here has never been all that active at least compared to CamCaps, and in many ways that makes sense. CamCaps has been around longer, they have a larger community, and they have a higher Google ranking.  I think that point 2 addresses some of this as well. That being said, the chat here is far more popular than the one on CamCaps. 

4. That's up to you. We don't monitor the messenger system unless we get a report about something. 

I appreciate your input. I've heard your concerns and complaints. What are your suggestions? 

The latest version of the forum software was released this week, and it has some great new features. I will likely be doing the upgrade in the next couple of weeks. It's a complete version upgrade not just a service pack. One the new features is the ability to create create "clubs" which are essentially private groups. I will provide more details later, but it has a lot of new features that I think will be very beneficial for us. 

2 minutes ago, Admin said:

The latest version of the forum software was just released, and it has some great new features. I will likely be doing the upgrade in the next couple of weeks. It's a complete version upgrade not just a service pack. One the new features is the ability to create create "clubs" which are essentially private groups. I will provide more details later, but it has a lot of new features that think will be very helpful for us.

Sounds good and thanks for sharing that tidbit of info friend.

4 hours ago, Admin said:

1. We are aware of the risks and will tread carefully. I am not going to discuss this any further in a public setting. 

2. I agree. I believe that a lot of that has to do with the viewing limit that I discussed in a previous post. Put it this way, up until yesterday the only significant change to the site was the implementation of the viewing limits several months ago. Unless people suddenly became less interested in RLCF for no particular reason, I believe that the viewing limits are what lead to the significant drop in traffic. It also hurt our search ranking because it prevented Google and other web crawlers from being able to access all of our pages. 

3. The forum here has never been all that active at least compared to CamCaps, and in many ways that makes sense. CamCaps has been around longer, they have a larger community, and they have a higher Google ranking.  I think that point 2 addresses some of this as well. That being said, the chat here is far more popular than the one on CamCaps. 

4. That's up to you. We don't monitor the messenger system unless we get a report about something. 

I appreciate your input. I've heard your concerns and complaints. What are your suggestions? 

1. For the gallery, I don't really have any suggestions. It's gone now, that's a shame. I can only agree that you need to tread very carefully when thinking about an alternative.
  2. There should be a proper code of conduct for the chatbox, in a place it can actually be found. The rules for the forum and chatbox are now scattered throughout the forum in various posts made by various moderators and are random at the very least. There are rules for not insulting other users, but not for not posting derogatory comments about the tenants. It's shouldn't be too hard for a chatter to get his opinion across without getting nasty. There is never need for name calling, not to other users, not to tenants. Besides, a chatter calling a tenant a wh*re can often expect a much stronger reaction from other chatters than that same chatter calling another chatter an idiot. I also suggest you take a look at the rules CamCaps implemented in April: No discussing the outside activities of the tenants, and not posting information gathered from outside sources (social media). Especially the "Girls on Vacation" threads got really out of hand over there, the constant guessing what happened outside almost caused riots. Since that rule has been implemented, and enforced, order is restored again. That brings me to my final point: Whatever the set of rules will be eventually, please enforce them. I see people get slaughtered on the chatbox for not saying "hi" when joining the chat, but other than that, I have rarely seen a moderator take action against a chatter or try to steer the conversation away from an apparently sensitive topic. And please give the moderators some real tools to work with. If I read toolmaker's comments correctly, all they can do now is report to the administrators. That doesn't work. When something happens that is noticed by a moderator, they should be able to do something immediately, not just file a report and hope an administrator will be online within a reasonable time frame to address the issue. Give them, for example, the power to put a user on time-out for an hour so they can't post.
  3. The recurring excuse for the forum being is slow is that RLC is boring at the moment. I really don't see that. We have more apartments to watch than ever before, interesting stuff happens all the time, all over the place. The only apartments that at the moment might be less interesting than they have been on moments in the past are B1 and B2, but that's the nature of the apartments. Girls come and go. There is a time we have a nice mix of girls that are interesting to watch, followed by a time it's a bit less. B1/B2, and before that just B1, have always had ups and downs, and always will have. I think the real reason for the forum being slow is, like you already stated yourself, less traffic to the RLCF website. I think it's good that you removed the limitation on the number of threads a guest can view. Like you said, people want to see what they will be joining, before signing up and participating. If the chatbox can again attract more chatters, the forum will pick up as well. There are users that only use the forum, there are users that only use the chat, but there's a lot that use both. A lot of the chatters we lost recently mainly came online for the chatbox, but while they were on there, wandered into the forum and made a couple of posts.
  4. The messenger system is just fine as it is. Occasionally I run into the limit of a maximum of 50 conversations, but that's not really a problem, that's just a signal I need to take some time to clear out my inbox. At times it would be nice though if the number of people you can have in one conversation would be higher than six. I think CamCaps uses the same software, so it's technically possible. I don't know what the limit is over there, but it certainly is way more than six.

I agree with @CowArt in the prior post (did not quote just because it is so long). A few others have stated the reason I think Chat activity is down: some of the discussions are just getting absurd and I just look and figure there is no way I want to be part of the BS; most of it around the B1/B2 women and what they are doing everywhere BUT the apartments. And if you disagree then you just get blasted. This has made many of us log on and then see what is going on and then jump in or just stay in the background. We get enough crap in the real world; we do not need it here. I think that is also what keeps many others from chatting when you see 20-30 logged on and only yourself chatting.

I do agree that being able to have more the 5 in a PM would be really great instead of having to do the same PM multiple times.

And thanks to @ADMIN for what you are doing; it is greatly appreciated.

I would like to thank-Admin and especially Stn Cld for all his work,  I know he was doing a lot of work on the vids in the gallery and it was all lost,  Now his work on maintaining the Site.--Iam not happy as most are not,  but life goes on make best with what we have at the moment.   I agree that the Chat has gone down quite a bit lately.  Maybe this will actually help as we can share with the other members what is going on as no one can see it all.  I still can talk to my friends on RLCF and would have felt very bad if I had lost that.  So we are still alive guys,  Lets go on and make this site work just to Piss Off--RLC---LOL.--